How are personal debts handled after death?

Dahlonega, GA |

A family member has recently passed away and several individuals have come forward claiming that money was owed to them. In circumstances such as this, what are the responsibilities of the probate judge, executor, and heirs? Is there any conflict if the executor is owed a large amount though they are not an heir? Do debts such as these have to be in writing or are verbal agreements actionable?

I do not think there is a conflict to have the executor as a creditor, as long as all creditors are treated the same. All creditors have a right to make a claim against the estate. But it seems like proof of the contract is going to be much tougher in the absence of a written contract. The executor would publish a notice to creditors. Creditors would make claims against the estate and the assets would subject to valid claims. If claims cannot be verified, then I would expect that the executor would disallow any such claims.

James Frederick

*** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state.

Executors always need to retain a lawyer and in this complex situation that is even more vital. Part of the executor's job is to evaluate and resolve claims against the etate, which will be affected by documentation, although a provable oral claim is enforceable too. The executor may have to resolve some disputes in court and others by negotiation, and the fact that he is claiming money increases the chance he may have disputes with the heirs.

This is NOT a do it yourself project and legal help is needed ASAP.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at geaatl@msn.com . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

To add to the two answers you've already received, in Georgia, a deceased person's debts (legitimately owed debts) are to be paid from his probate estate before any assets can be distributed to the person's heirs or beneficiaries. If the appointed Executor is also a creditor for a significant sum, then the Executor must be extra cautious in handling the debts, so that the debt owed him or her is not given improper priority over other debts. Georgia law also sets out the order in which debts and other claims against the estate, such as a surviving spouse or minor child's year's support claim, a funeral expense, or an administrative expense are paid, and the Executor must carefully follow the laws to ensure that nothing is paid improperly. I agree with Mr. Ashman wholeheartedly- this is not a do-it-yourself situation, and the Executor needs to hire an experienced probate attorney to guide him or her. Otherwise, the Executor can end up personally liable to creditors, claimants, or beneficiaries for amounts distributed our paid out improperly.

This answer is not intended to provide you with specific legal advice regarding your situation, or to create any attorney-client relationship. The intent is only to provide general information. You should be aware that you cannot rely on this answer to provide you with any protection against tax penalties. You should always consult your own attorney in order to obtain legal advice.

There is a statutory list of priorities for paying debt.
Obviously the debt associated with the probate process will take priority over all other debt such as filing fees, attorney fees, accountancy fees and the like.
Other debt such as secured debt will take priority over unsecured debt.
I might suggest you also look into whether your family member survivors are eligible for Years Support which would avoid all of this.