Skip to main content

How are assets considered for the affidavit of support (I-864)?

Los Angeles, CA |

In the guide here (, it says that assets can be considered if income isn't sufficient. The poverty level is around $16000/year, how much do my assets need to exceed that to be considered enough?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


See form I-864P and multiply by 5

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


You take the amount of support required and subtract from it the amount of income you have. The documented market value of the assets must be five times greater than that difference.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


I agree with my colleagues.

800-688-7892, Law Office of Anu Gupta. The advice suggested here is for general information only. It is not to be construed as legal advice. We promise to zealously represent you - but as with any legal matter, we cannot predict the approval of your case based on our past successes. Each case is different. If you are in a similar situation, we would recommend that you contact us to discuss your case.


In general, the assets must be greater than five times the amount required by the poverty guidelines. However, if you are a US citizen sponsoring your spouse or minor child, assets only need be 3 times the amount required by the poverty guidelines.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer