Skip to main content

How am able to obtain back child support ($4400) in Brevard County FL?

Melbourne, FL |

I have requested the assistance from the clerk of court and CSE for the back child support owed and Brevard County clerk of courts has found the noncustodial parent in contempt of court. In addition the noncustodial parent has relocated several times out of the jurisdiction of child support and has remained unemployed for more than one year. When the noncustodial parent was summons to court he hired an attorney to represent him in the form of mailing a letter explaining circumstances and or when payments will be resumed. The noncustodial parent declared that the reason for him not paying child-support is because of the disability of his current wife and he's waiting on Social Security disability benefits to resume paying child support .To date our child has received $80 in support. It was also court ordered in our divorce decree for medical insurance to be maintained for our minor child and insurance has NEVER been provided.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


The best thing for you to do is hire a private attorney to file a motion for contempt and have the ex served and set a hearing. The smell of the cell and the feel of the steel makes people come up with money that they just swore they did not have and could not get.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq. We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I make do not constitute legal advice. Any statements made by me are based upon the limited facts you have presented, and under the premise that you will consult with a local attorney. This is not an attempt to solicit business. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am only licensed in Florida.


You need to file a Motion for Contempt. Hire a private attorney if possible. He's going to have quite an arrearage if he keeps this up.

Legal disclaimer: Ms. Braaten's answer to your question does not establish an attorney client relationship, but rather is meant to share knowledge with the general public. For specific advise on your case, you need to consult one on one with an family law attorney.


The most cost efficient method for you is to contact the Child Support Office as you have done. Although they may be slower due to the number of cases they handle, they specialize in collecting child support payments. They have many tools to help you. They can intercept and freeze his bank account (if he has one), they can intercept his tax refund (if one is coming to him), they can garnish his wages, they will report him to the credit bureau, they will intercept any lottery winnings, they will revoke his passport, they will intercept worker's compensation payments, and many more. Other than that, the other option will be to hire a private attorney. But remember, where there is a will, there is a way. If he keeps relocating, changing jobs and doing everything in his power not to pay, it will make it very difficult for the child support office or even a private attorney to be able to help you. Good luck.

If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer or select it as Best Answer. It’s easy and appreciated. This answer is provided for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. Comments made on websites such as are provided for information purposes only, and you should not base a decision to act or refrain from acting based upon this answer. The only way to determine how the law may apply to your particular situation is to consult with an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation. That relationship is established by the execution of a written agreement for legal services. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer