How, and when are I-9 Employment Verification forms disposed of, when an employee is terminated?

How and when do employers disposed of an I-9 Employment Verification form?
Also can USCIS request I-9 forms from individuals employed and terminated 5 years ago?
Are employers obligated to give in if requested by USCIS, I-9 forms beyond any set of rules that an employer should keep I-9 forms on record as obligated by law?

Filed under: Employment

I know of no law that requires an employer to maintain employment records for more than 5 years. However, if I were you, I would scan these critical documents and maintain them in a computer file forever and ever. You will likely never need them, but the cost of maintaining them is so minimal. Good luck to you.

Can USCIS request them after an employee's termination 3 years ago? I'm only required by law to keep i-9 forms for 3 years after termination or one?