Skip to main content

Houston Personal Injury Lawyer For Small Claims

Houston, TX |

How can I find a Houston lawyer to assist me with a small auto claim?

Most places I have looked only mentions taking on big claims.

It's been a little over 2 months since my accident. I did go to the hospital the day of the accident, but the doctor didn't give a full examination. I haven't went to therapy which I heard could hurt a claim. Since becoming active, I have noticed more problems.

I have more testing that needs to be done, but since I have already collected over $6,000 in bills, I have been waiting for my gold card so it will be less expensive in case I end up having to pay. It could take months before they set me an appointment.

I was a passenger and my last lawyer said to sue both insurance companies (the person that hit and I was riding with).

Please help, thanks!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5

Best Answer

You need to find an attorney that can help you get and find treatment ASAP! What part of Houston are you located? The two month gap will hurt your claim - there is no getting around that. But - You should NOT wait to get in to see a gold card doc.... depending upon your injuries... there are plenty of places that can treat you on what is called an LOP (letter of protection)... but you need to hire an attorney first.

All responses on this site by this attorney are considered practical & general and does not constitute absolute or final legal advice. It is always best to consult a lawyer in your area on your exact case/claim. Each state has different laws, statutes of limitations and regulations. This lawyer is only licensed in the State of Texas. If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. I hope my information is helpful to you. If you think this post was a good answer, please click the "Good Answer" button below and/or designate my answer as the "BEST ANSWER". This is a general response to a question for basic information and is not legal advice. Legal advice can only be given when all of the facts of your situation are discussed with a lawyer, which we have not done.. If you reside outside the State of Texas please understand that the laws may be different from the laws that I may cite in a my comment. This comment is not to be construed as legal advice to your particular situation because there are many factors that influence legal counseling- this is simply a comment. Response to an email does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and the Law Offices of GREGG S. HARRISON, PLLC, nor any of its attorneys. If you send us an e-mail, or call us, and we do not already represent you, neither your e-mail inquiry nor telephone call will create an attorney-client relationship. E-mails cannot necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. Only entering into a written legal services contract with the Law Office of GREGG S. HARRISON PLLC. will create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for one-on-one legal advice and you are urged to meet with an attorney and discuss your case, personally, with an attorney in the state in which you reside or your case occurred. Thank you. GREGG HARRISON. Visit our website at or call 832-797-7600 to discuss your legal issue; We represent injured persons who have been involved in motor vehicle collisions, 18-wheeler/truck wrecks and motorcycle accidents; all types of general negligence and catastrophic injury claims.


You should be able to find a lawyer given you have 6000.00 in medical.

There are a lot of fine lawyers in the Houston area, and you need to get one hired immediately. Interview three or four lawyers and find one you feel will do a good job. Ask about his experience, his record and any Board Certifications.

Good Luck,

Any communication through the Avvo site with Portner Bond, PLLC or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Any information given by Portner Bond, PLLC or any individual member of the firm through the Avvo site is general information and should not be relied on as legal advice. Confidential or time-sensitive information should be conducted in person with an attorney.


I am in Austin, but I frequently practice in Houston. I would be happy to review your case. Call for a free consultation.

Responses to questions asked on this internet forum are not intended to form an attorney-client relationship. These responses are intended as general information only, and are based upon the attorney's understanding of Texas law ONLY. Other jurisdictions may have different laws, or may interpret the laws of the jurisdiction differently. For a more detailed response, contact Todd Kelly at the Carlson Law Firm: 512-346-5688.


You would best be served by meeting with and hiring an experienced attorney, preferably one who is Board Certified in Personal Injury trial matters. A lawyer will be able to recommend a doctor in the Houston area who is willing to arrange medical treatment on a letter of protection (LOP). My LOP advises doctors that IF we can settle your case for enough money to compensate the parties involved (ie you, your lawyer and the doctors involved) AND they will work with me to negotiate their bills, I will treat them fairly to protect their bills and pay them out of the settlement monies (or monies obtained in a verdict.

I also agree that both drivers should be sued, IF and ONLY IF both drivers are in some way negligent. As a passenger however, we can all agree that the odds are you had NOTHING to do with causing the collision, so there will likely be no issue regarding your conduct from a liability standpoint. Of course, the insurance company lawyers will always say "You must not have been hurt since you didn't make a great effort to be seen by a doctor." The is the single biggest reason you need to get a lawyer hired, who can refer you to a doctor or doctors who will treat you on a letter of protection. I would DEFINITELY not wait until you get your Gold Card for medical treatment, as you can sometimes wait weeks if not months for an appointment.

Finally, while there are many good lawyers in the city, I would recommend you hire a lawyer who is Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law. Lawyers with this kind of certification have been practicing at least five years, and tried a minimum number of cases to verdict, though they often have much more experience.

I would be happy to visit with you by telephone or in person to discuss your case. Best of luck to you.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.


Luckily, several of the lawyers in your state have offered to help.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer