Skip to main content

House mortgage is under my retired dad's name, but the house title/deed is under my name, how would I refinance the house?

Rosemead, CA |

Already tried refinance under Citimortgage, but the title company said since title is not under my dad's name, they cannot continue the process. What would be the best method to resolve this?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


If the title to the house is in your name and you and the property qualify (appraised value sufficient to retire existing financing) for new financing, it shouldn't be a problem for you to refinance.

This answer does not constitue legal advice, nor does it creat an attorney/client relationship. If you are seeking legal advice upon which you intend to rely, you should hire competent cousel familiar with this area of the law in your locale.


It shouldn't be a problem. Ask CitiMortgage have a different underwriter review title. Otherwise, change lenders.


If you wish to refinance a loan, it is the borrower of that loan that would be refinancing it. It sounds like your Father is the borrower so he would have to refinance it. Did he recently transfer title to you via a grant deed or quit claim deed? If you want the loan in your name, you may need to arrange for a loan in your name and then payoff your Father's loan. If your father wishes to refinance the loan, you can grant deed it back to him or to you and him in some capacity and then he can refinance it.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer