Skip to main content

Hit while parked in a parking lot

Puyallup, WA |

i came out of the store today to notice that somebody hit my rear driver side door today and it is going to cost some money. there was no note and no witnesses. is there anything i can do other than file a claim with my insurance provider?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Yes, and also consider reporting the matter right away to the police as a hit and run.


If you haven't already done so, report the incident to the local police. Then call your insurance company and open a claim. If you have UIM (uninsured/underinsured motorist) coverage, then make sure your insurance company processes your claim under the UIM portion of your policy. This makes a difference in the amount you have to pay for the deductible (most UIM deductibles are $100 and $300 versus $500 or more under the collision portion of your policy).

Depending on the year of your vehicle and the extent of damage (generally 2004 or newer with over $1000 in repairs) you would also be entitled to make a diminished value claim. You can only make such a claim under the UIM portion of your policy and not under the collision portion of your policy.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer