Skip to main content

Hit and Run w/ suspended license. Is there enough evidence??

Fairfax, VA |

My boyfriend has a suspended license and is on probation. He was driving my car and rear-ended someone. Very minor. So he asked the other driver if they can settle without involving the cops. The driver disagreed and started calling the cops.. thats when my boyfriend fled the scene. Later on, I got a voicemail from a cop saying that my car was involved in a hit and run and that she has a description and that she thinks she knows who it is and if I don't call her within an hour, she will issue a warrant out. She didnt say who the warrant is for but the car used to be registered under my boyfriends name. And we also have previous cases together (domestic violence). So, my question is, do they have enough evidence? Is the other driver being able to identify him enough to convict him?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Don’t turn this from a situation where you have civil liability (for the damages he caused), to one where you may face criminal charges by lying to police. Your boyfriend faces criminal charges for leaving the scene of an accident and driving with a suspended license. I am not a criminal lawyer and am not trained or licensed in the law of your state, but I really don’t think letting an unlicensed person drive your car is a criminal matter (for you). Since (in most states) you will be financially liable for whatever damages were caused by a permissive user of your car, if you have insurance, you should notify them right away. I strongly suggest you immediately contact a criminal lawyer; but whatever you do beforehand, do not lie to the police. Good luck.

This reply should NOT be considered a legal opinion of your case / inquiry. At this time I do not have sufficient factual/legal documentation to give a complete answer to your question and there may be more to the issues you raised then I have set out in my brief reply. Further, unless your matter concerns Florida law, I am not licensed to practice or give legal advice in your state.


You need to report the accident to the police and notify your insurance company. Your boyfriend will need criminal lawyer, which he can find on Avvo. Good luck to you both.

Philadelphia Personal Injury Lawyer.


Changed the practice rea to criminal as that is more appropriate.
If the jury believed the witness, one witness is all that is needed to get a conviction.
The cop cannot issue warrant. Can ask a judge for one. You do not have to speak to cop, ever.

The above is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client relationship as this forum does not provide for a confidential communication.


As as attorney who has practiced in Northern Virginia for 12 years, I would strongly encourage you to speak to an experienced criminal defense attorney. You and your boyfriend could face serious consequences as a result of the potential charges. It is also necessary for you to realize that your interests differ from that of your boyfriend.

A lawyer can contact the officer on your behalf. The lawyers efforts may be able to prevent the warrant from being issued against you and may prevent your boyfriend from being arrested and taken to jail. The charges however can be issued by a summons and will likely require an appearance in court, if the police choose to prosecute the case.

You can find attorneys on Avvo or search Google for Fairfax attorneys.