Skip to main content

Hit and Run - better to turn yourself in after 5 days, or wait and see if you get caught?

Fort Lauderdale, FL |

My boyfriend was driving home on Saturday evening (about 7 pm), looked down to get something at a red light, and rolled into the car in front of him. There were a couple minor scratches on both cars. They both got out, looked at the damage, and then agreed to drive into the plaza off the road so he could provide his information. The couple pulled into the plaza and he followed.

At the last moment, he pulled out and drove away. Hit and Run! It is likely they did not see his license plate, but they could have. (I am going based on what he told me.)

To make matters worse, he had another hit and run incident just over a year ago. A lawyer was able to take care of it without a ticket even. He is talking about turning himself in, but I don't think that will help.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Your boyfriend should speak with the same attorney who helped him previously.

Mr. Pascale is licensed to practice law in the State of New York. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and time-lines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Pascale strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to insure proper advice is received.


Is this a legal question - or an ethical one? Or something else? I would think your boyfriend would need to do the right thing and take responsibility for his actions. I would think you need to do the right thing as well.

The materials available at this web site are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. The opinions expressed at or through this site are the opinions of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of the firm or any individual attorney.


I agree that you should speak to the lawyer that helped previously.

Also, he should see about getting some advice regarding his license. I assume he does not have one and that is the reason that he takes off. Most states have provisions for hardship licenses.

Good Luck, Jeff Flores


I agree with Attorney Peacock's response. Tell your boyfriend to see his previous attorney and thereafter contact the police regarding the accident. Since property damage was all that was involved, the charge, if any, will be a misdemeanor at most.

Also, since you note that your boyfriend committed a similar offense in the recent past, please tell him to wake up and start taking responsibility for his actions. His running away from these two incidents reflects the mindset of an 8-year-old child who got caught with his hand in the cookie jar.

Good luck,

Robert E. Heyman, Esq.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer