Skip to main content

Hiring a Personal Injury Lawyer

Nashville, TN |

I had a car accident which was other Person'd fault and i got injured but there was nothing broken but internal bruises and strains in my upper body for which i am seeking therapy /treatment

Is it worth to get a Persoanl Injury Lawyer
I am concerned that in worst case if the lawyer is not able to get settlement will he ask me to pay his documentation charges and all which i would never want to get into

Please suggest

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


Personal injury lawyer usually handle these matters on a contingency fee basis and in most cases will advance the costs. This is something to discuss when you hire the lawyer and the fee arrangement will be outlined in the signed representation agreement. Don't minimize the internal bruises and strains. I have seen these injuries lead to extensive treatment and disability. So go see a lawyer.


You need to hire an attorney. There are many issues which will be difficult for you to deal with such as valuing the case and addressing insurance subrogation. As to costs such as documentation, typically attorneys front the costs and do not seek costs if the case is not successful.


Yes. Your claim has value and frankly it may be too early to tell the full extent of your injuries. It may turn out not to be a significant claim--which is a good thing---that means you are not hurt. Obviously you will pay a percentage of any recovery to your lawyer. However I see my job as getting my client more money than he/she could get on his/her own. Studies, even those done by insurance company conclude that claimants do better in the end with lawyers than without.

If you feel this is the "best" answer or is "helpful," please indicate. Since I am limited to the information you provide, I cannot guarantee the accuracy of the answer. You should seek the advise of an attorney who can explore all aspects of your question. This communication does not form an attorney client relationship.


Don't hesitate to seek a lawyer on this. Most personal injury attorneys charge a percentage and will no look to your for costs if there is no recovery. Interview the lawyers until you find one you are comfortable with.


I agree with all the lawyers that have answered this question. The first thing to do is to get well. Treat and follow all the doctor's recommendations to the letter. Take all medications as prescribed and attend to all appointments and physical therapy. Further, be clear about your symptoms to your physician. Don't overstate your symptoms and don't "tough it out" by not letting the doctor know what is really going on. Second, preserve your evidence. Take pictures of your bruises and your damaged auto. Get pics of the other driver's car. Pick up your accident report. Keep a daily log of pain and treatment, but address it to your lawyer or future lawyer via email so it is not discover-able by the other side. Third, hire a lawyer who will assemble and catalog your damages and make a logical settlement demand upon the other driver's insurance company. Fourth, review your own insurance policy for your coverage and uninsured motorist coverage in case the other driver is not insured. Also, for med pay in case you need help with your medical bills. You have a lot to do so, get cracking.


Always best to have a lawyer. Avvo has a terrific "find a lawyer" tool to find a top-rated Avvo lawyer with a low contingency fee within a couple miles of your home. Good luck.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer