Hi there, i REALLY need help... I was illegally evicted from my apt a few days ago. Not given notice or anything. Can i sue

I really need assistance here.. please help me. About 4 days ago I was illegally evicted from my apartment of 2 years. I got into an argument with the landlord over the phone, and 20 min later cops show up at my door saying im "tresspassing" and to "leave or well arrest you" they had papers but wouldnt let me see them. I was NEVER GIVEN ANY PAPERS. OR EVEN A 3 DAYS NOTICE OR 30 DAYS NOTICE I WAS TOLD TO LEAVE THERE AND THEN.. AND NOW I AM HOMELESS. I even paid my rent to the landlord for this month in Nov, so why would he take the money then? the police treated me like a criminal and now im homeless with no family or place to go. i work full time please PLEASE HELP ME 818-799-7295 LILIA . OR CALL 310-657-3700 WORK PHONE. THANK YOU.

I'm surprised the cops intervened in this situation. It does sound like you have a case here and the LL may end up being responsible for all your costs from the point of eviction. I passed your info off to a colleague in Los Angeles, (Andre) I hope he is able to help you. His number is 818-484-0424 and he handles all kinds of LL/T issues.

Thomas A. Schaeffer, Esq. Law Office of Juarez and Schaeffer PO Box 16216, San Diego, CA 92105 (619) 804-4327 www.jslaw.org This posting is provided for "informational purposes" only and should not be relied upon as "legal advice." Nothing transmitted from this posting constitutes the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. Applicability of the legal principals discussed here may differ substantially in individual situations or in different States.

Kevin Lewis King

Kevin Lewis King

I'm glad you responded. I wanted to help her, but being in SF, I didn't think I would be much help in such an urgent and time-sensitive matter.

If you were not provided notice, you may challenge the judgment.

If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education purposes only. It neither creates an attorney-client relationship nor provides legal guidance or advice. The answer is based on the limited information provided and the answer might be different had additional information been provided. You should consult an attorney.

Kevin Lewis King

Kevin Lewis King

There is no "judgment" here. Unless you're commenting on the bad judgment of the responding officers. The cops kicked her out of her own apartment with no process whatsoever, let alone a judgment.

You can contest the judgment against you, and also cross-sue for damages if you were not served and therefore were illegally evicted. However, it is incumbent upon you to take action as soon as possible to protect your rights.

When responding to questions posted on Avvo, I provide a general purpose response based on California law as I am licensed in California. In reviewing my response, you are specifically advised that your use of, or reliance upon any response I provide is not advisable. I do not have all relevant background details or facts related to your issue / matter, thus I am not in a position to give you legal advice. Further, your review, use of, or reliance upon my response does not establish an attorney-client relationship between us nor does it qualify as a legal consultation for any purpose.