Skip to main content

Hi,my girlfriend is an US citizen,whant to get married,im stayed overvisa,what do we need to fix my legal situation.thank you..

Minneapolis, MN |

11 years in this country,no bad background,me 40 she 39,she had back surgery so shes in disability right now.....also want to know how much a lawyer will cost for this...thanks

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Although lawyers can't quote prices on a public blog like this, I can tell you that you probalby need one.

Also, she will probably need a financial co-sponsor.

The good news is that, if you two find a financial sponsor, your papers can probably be fixed without you having to leave the US.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


If a foreign national (like you) in the U.S. enters into a real marriage with a U.S. citizen, overstayed a valid visa and is eligible for a green card, it may be possible to be petitioned and adjust status in the U.S. Speak to an immigration attorney about the process, and he or she can advise you as to whether you will need a joint sponsor in regards to the financial sponsorship.

Kindly note that this posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Remember, this site is akin to an internet blog. Do not rely on information here to make important decisions in your life. Make an appointment to meet with a licensed attorney in his or her office (or via Skype or phone) to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


You need to get married to fix your situation and find someone to help you with the Affidavit of Support. If at all possible, hire a good attorney. Fees range, best to call a few and ask them their legal fees. You can look up the USCIS filing fees yourself on, you will need to pay filing fees for the I130, I485, and the I765.

Due to the nature of this forum, I often do not have all the information required to provide legal advice. Accordingly, my responses on Avvo are intended as general and not legal advice.


If you love each other get married. Next consult an immigration attorney to assist you.

This advice does not form an attorney-client relationship and is merely informative. It should not by itself be relied upon to address a legal concern.


Hello. Attorney fee will vary. Some attorneys may provide reduced fee for financial hardship and some may assist you in a limited scope manner to conserve legal expense. As stated, you need to confer with an attorney at this time.

TWIN CITIES to ST CLOUD. Do seek legal counsel for your personal legal issues and needs. This post is not legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. This post is to be considered general information which may or may not apply to your personal situation.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer