Hi mi Susan if the law is 31 days after we move for them to send a bill for damages my question is what if we get it after they

Mcminnville, OR |

OK I just would like to know what do we do if we get a bill for damages after the 31 days cause its been over 60 days

I believe that this question was already asked and answered in this thread: http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/hello-im-susan-i-would-like-to-know-how-long-a-lan-1116834.html

You shouldn't post your name, or any other identifying information, here. It could be found by the other side and traced back to you. The internet is not nearly as anonymous as people sometimes think.

Please read the following notice: <br> <br> Jay Bodzin is licensed to practice law in the State of Oregon and the Federal District of Oregon, and cannot give advice about the laws of other jurisdictions. All comments on this site are intended for informational purposes only, and do not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. No posts or comments on this site are in any way confidential. Each case is unique. You are advised to have counsel at all stages of any legal proceeding, and to speak with your own lawyer in private to get advice about your specific situation. <br> <br> Jay Bodzin, Northwest Law Office, 2075 SW First Avenue, Suite 2J, Portland, OR 97201 | Telephone: 503-227-0965 | Facsimile: 503-345-0926 | Email: jay@northwestlawoffice.com | Online: www.northwestlawoffice.com

Mr. Bodzin's answer - he is correct.

I agree with my colleague. I'll also add: by not complying with the law your landlord may have forfeited his legal right to withhold any of your security deposit. You need to check the previously posted statute to be certain.

DISCLAIMER: Brandy A. Peeples is licensed to practice law in the State of Maryland. This answer is being provided for informational purposes only and the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For legal advice relating to your specific situation, I strongly urge you to consult with an attorney in your area. NO COMMUNICATIONS WITH ME ARE TO BE CONSTRUED AS ARISING FROM AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP AND NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP WILL BE ESTABLISHED WITH ME UNLESS I HAVE EXPRESSLY AGREED TO UNDERTAKE YOUR REPRESENTATION, WHICH INCLUDES THE EXECUTION OF A WRITTEN AGREEMENT OF RETAINER.

There's a difference between getting a security deposit accounting, and a bill for damages.

Say you move out on the last day of your lease - your landlord has 31 days to send you back your deposit, or an accounting of what happened to it.

But regardless of what happens with the deposit, the landlord could wait several months and then suddenly send you a bill for damage to the home. In fact, the typical statute of limitations in Oregon for landlord-tenant cases is one year. So, it is possible that up to a year after you move out, your landlord could come after you looking for money.

Portland Defender
1001 Southwest 5th Avenue
Suite 1100
Portland, OR 97204
(503) 592-0606