Skip to main content

Hi,I made several research if I can get my citizenship and I never found an answer, so I would really like if you could help me.

Saint Augustine, FL |

My great-grandmother from my mother's side was born in the US and moved in Canada a couple years later. I know that she had her American Citizenship, but when she gave birth to my grandfather, she did not gave him the American Citizenship. But my grandfather knew she was American and he asked for a green card, but he didn't asked for the citizenship. He lived in the USA about 6 months a year during 20 to 30 years and he still alive.

On my father's side, my grandfather was born Canadian, but worked in the US and got naturalized after my father's birth. My father never lived or worked in the USA and he is obviously not a citizen.

I would really like if you could tell me if there is any chance for me to get an American citizenship or a green card.
Thank you very much.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


It is impossible to answer your questions without knowing the dates when the various events described above happened. Derivative citizenship law is complex and the rules depend on when various events took place. Your best bet is to schedule a consultation with an immigration attorney and bring copies of birth certificates of the people described above.


Apparently your research stopped short of spending some money and entrusting an immigration lawyer with researching the law and investigating your particular circumstances.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


You'll need to consult with an immigration lawyer about this. There are too many questions and too many details involved here to be able to respond carefully to your situation here on Avvo. Best of luck.

(734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.


Best to discuss in detail with an immigration lawyer

John Lassen 1-877-252-4630


Citizenship law is complex as you apply the law that was in effect at the time the event in question occurred, not the law at present. Thus, as my colleagues have mentioned the exact dates are very important to the analysis if your case.

Consult with an experienced immigration attorney who can review the facts of your case with you and advise you as to what benefits you may be eligible for and the most efficient way to obtain them.

While this answer is provided by a Florida Bar Certified Expert in Immigration and Nationality Law, it is for general information purposes only and an attorney/client relationship is neither intended nor created. You should seek out qualified counsel to review your case and provide you with advice specific to your situation. Call +1-561-478-5353 to schedule a consultation with Mr. Devore.


Agree with prior attorneys, but the link should help give you an idea.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer