Skip to main content

Hi,I am H1 Visa holder currently working in Texas.I got an other offer and accepted it,My visa is also filed by the new employer

Fort Worth, TX |

But,i was told by my current employer that i have signed a document saying i should not leave the company untill my H1 term expires,in such cases I need to pay $10,000 it seems.What is the procedure to handle this issue,can you pleas help me.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Retain an attorney to review what was signed.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


Have an attorney review for you what you signed.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


This is an employment law, not an immigration law question.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- -- -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


Not sure but perhaps an employment contract. you should consult a local attorney for advice.
Llaita Haran
(317) 660-6174

Contact (317) 660-6174 for specific legal advice. Answers here are not legal advice because they are of general nature and not tailored to your specific situation. You should not act on this answer without checking with an Immigration Attorney.


The employer may be trying to get you to reimburse the company for all of the H-1B costs, which is not permitted. I suggest you consult with an attorney to review the contract you signed to see if the contract is even enforceable.