Skip to main content

Hi i am going in front of the master for child support and he said if i do not come with money this time im going to jail?

Baltimore, MD |

this is my second time in front of him. will i be arrest right on the spot or do i go in front of a judge? how long will i be locked up? can the 750 he is asking for be paid after im locked up for release? im $8400 in arears

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


I can't tell you what the Master will do if you show up with no money. He might keep his promise and send you to jail, or he might give you another chance. However, if you take whatever money you have with you, then the Master will have some reason to exercise mercy and give you another chance. So my suggestion is to give the Master whatever money you can scrape together, and then put forth more effort to get together more money. Judges and Masters like to see parents put forth significant effort to obey child support orders. And remember, it is also good for your child.

This answer is GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY and does NOT constitute Legal Advice and does NOT establish an Attorney/Client Relationship because you have not provided me with a COMPLETE set of the FACTS, and therefore my answer cannot address your specific situation. I am an attorney licensed in Maryland and California. A Consultation, Retainer and a fully signed and dated Legal Services Agreement (a contract) will be required if you would like to obtain my representation. Office: (410) 381-1656. David Mahood, Esq.