Hi,I am currently enrolled in Master's program. My I-20 got expired a month ago that I did not notice.

Rolla, MO |

What are my options to get back to status or renew my I-20? I am only left with one month of my degree program

and my DSO says I have to file a reinstatement. Please tel me what are my options. Also what will be my options after reinstatement's decision. If approved can i go for OPT and work or not. Please help me

Talk to your Designated School Official (DSO) about reinstatement.

This answer is intended to provide general information and should not to be construed as legal advice pertaining to a particular situation or relied upon as such. You should have your specific situation reviewed by an attorney.

You have to get reinstated within 5 months of the expiration. Once reinstated and if you completed at least one year of a program, you should be eligible for OPT. Talk to your DSO.

An attorney-client relationship is not formed by my responses to questions on Avvo. My responses are not intended to be legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice.

they are telling me that I have to file for reinstatement but even if my I-20 gets reinstated, I wont be allowed to apply for OPT for this i20. I have to enroll in a new degree program and complete 1 full year on campus and after that I'll be able to apply for OPT on this new i20. I researched on my own on this and found links on other university's website like these: http://www.nafsa.org/uploadedFiles/N...EINHandout.pdf on page 4 it clearly states that I can apply for OPT if my I-20 gets reinstated. 1. I showed my DSO this document but they said that they have their own policies and thats how they have interpreted the law. I couldn't find anything on USCIS's website regarding this. 2. I am so confused right now as what to do next, my whole career is at stake. Please help me on this matter