Skip to main content

Hi ,Want to marry my immigrant fiancee that is on a work visa in Florida. Work visa expires soon , want her to become a citizen

Clearwater, FL |

We have been together for over 7 years since University ( She had a school / study visa then ) After graduating college she obtained a work visa and and has been working legally in florida. She has been in the country for over 7 years now legally even had to leave at somepoint for six months to reniew her paper work back home ( Colombia ) She has done everthing right to the TEE! Her work visa expires in a couple months. We have been engaged and i would like to marry her , sponcor her. What is the process now ,? can the process be quicker than 4 moths ( Ive heard minimal ) since she has done everything correctly and we have no complecations to worry about.? how can she keep working evn if the work visa expired while wating for the citenship visa.? Thanks

+ Read More

Attorney answers 8


If you are a citizen, you can file for her I-130 and adjustment application once you get married. If you are a green card holder, you can still get married and file her 130. The entire process will take time to explain. Suggest you talk with an attorney to answer all your questions.

800-688-7892, Law Office of Anu Gupta. The advice suggested here is for general information only. It is not to be construed as legal advice. We promise to zealously represent you - but as with any legal matter, we cannot predict the approval of your case based on our past successes. Each case is different. If you are in a similar situation, we would recommend that you contact us to discuss your case.


First of all she will be applying for residency not citizenship. The fact that she has done everything legally will not speed up her processing except for the fact that she can adjust and will not require a waiver. Once you petitioner for her, after retaining an attorney, you file for work authorization which will take 90 days. Once she receives that she can keep on working. Also file a firm I-131 so that she can travel as well while the petition is being processed. Processing times can vary from 3-6 months.

MEDINA LAW GROUP PC: EXPERIENCED TEXAS IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS. email:; Phone: (210) 821-4500; Fax: 210-821-4500; 1802 NE Loop 410, Ste 104, San Antonio, TX 78217. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. Furthermore, the content of this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. I apologize in advance for any spelling or typographical errors. MEDINA LAW GROUP PC.


Assuming you are a U.S. Citizen, you can file for her green-card as an immediate relative YES. You can still file even if you are a green-card holder, but there are wait-times. She will get a GREEN-CARD not U.S. Citizenship. Consult with a experienced immigration lawyer to help you out.

Garmo Law Group, PLLC (Michigan) 248-626-0050. This advice is only general in nature and does not constitute an attorney/client relationship. Speak to an experienced attorney before making decisions.


I agree with my colleagues.

Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.


Preuming that you are a US citizen, you can petition for her to adjust status. This is a multistep process that requires documentation for your relationship and to file for her adjustment of status and an interview. Please get a full evaluation. I have handled many such cases.


Based on your stated mistaken beliefs the case requires an immigration attorney to ensure evrything is prepared and filed correctly.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one's personal legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602


Assuming you are a U.S. citizen and assuming that you want her to continue to follow the law to a tee, then as your wedding gift to her hire an immigration lawyer to help her get her green card. She will get a 2 year green card based on her marriage to you, and this green card will need to ne renewed to get a 10 year green card.

You will changer her life by sponsoring her in good faith. I wish you the best of luck and a happy future together.

Best regards,
Lena Korial-Yonan, Esq.


I agree with my colleagues; your question shows a lot of misunderstandings of the immigration process. That is understandable as immigration law in general is very confusing. The process for petitioning for your spouse is a little more complicated and I highly suggest you contact an immigration attorney to help you out.