Skip to main content

Hi, My sister's case was ruled a suicide but i think it was murder. Can I get it re-opened? If so where and how?

Danielson, CT |

My sisters case was ruled a suicide and was found by her boyfriend. He said she hung herself with a cabel wire from a closet door and was sitting on the floor. Im not sure this is even possible. Her boyfriend was VERY abusive and controlling. My mother was not allowed to view her body and the police report was vage. No photos were taken. This is tearing me and my mother apart where do i start. I am 99% sure she didnt do it. Help me please.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


It is difficult to overturn the ruling of a medical examiner and a conclusion by the police that you sister committed suicide. It is not possible, but very difficult. It would also be difficult to get an attorney to represent you in the matter on a contingency basis. Would speak with a local injury attorney about your particular state laws.


Retain a lawyer in your city who can to try have the body exhumed. Good luck.

Licensed in PA & NJ. 29% Contingency Fee. Phone: 215-510-6755


Hire your own criminal expert and medical examiner. Have them examine all the facts and the body. You need to find physical evidence to support your position and prove your case. This will be very difficult, emotionally taxing and expensive, but maybe it will be worth it if you can get justice.

You should consult an attorney in your State at once. This response does not constitute legal advise outside the State Of Michigan and is not intended to establish an attorney-client relationship with our offices. It is for informational use only of the general laws in the State of Michigan, only. To retain our offices, you need to sign a contingency contract with us. We do offer free consultations and we can refer clients to lawyers in your State if you call us. Visit our webpage and tell us what you think.


It is certainly possible, but, as the other lawyers have said, not easy to do. The reason it isn't easy is because it is presumed the police did a thorough investigation before coming to a decision. If they were given information about an abusive boyfriend they must have considered that possibility and, for some reason, ruled him out. It is hard to believe that no pictures were taken. The first step is to get a copy of the entire police file through a written request as the legal representative of your sister's estate. You need to go to probate court in the Town where your sister resided and have the court appoint you as the administrator of sister's estate if she died without a Will in place. This status give's you the power to act as your siste'r represetative. Once you have the entire file you should then consult with an attorney who can then direct you to an expert to examine the file.

I hope you find the answers you are looking for.


This is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. It is absolutely NOT legal advice that you should rely upon when making a decision. It is general information about the law in Connecticut. You need to consult with an attorney who will ask you all the facts necessary to give you specific legal advice for your situation.


Very difficult to do, but not impossible. However, you'll need an attorney to pursue vigorous litigation, which might get somewhat costly.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer