Skip to main content

Hi, im 16 and found out that I am about 3-4 months pregnant and my the father of my baby is living in Wisconsin. my question is

Ault, CO |

That if I live in Colorado and he lives in Wisconsin can I legally get empancipated?

+ Read More

Filed under: Court orders
Attorney answers 3


Have you talked this over with mom and dad?

As to your question:

When is a child, if the child is, emancipated in Colorado?

In Colorado, a child is emancipated if he or she is at least 16 years old, is married or in the military, or is living independently of her parents and is self-supporting. There is no formal procedure available in Colorado to get a court order establishing that a child is emancipated. Rather, emancipation is a status that a person finds him or herself in.


The above is not intended to be legal advice, but may be used for general information. Please contact an attorney for specific help tailored to your needs.


Just because you are pregnant and having a baby does not make you emancipated in CO. In fact, as a former judge, most judges will tell you that you need your family now more than ever and would definitely be inclined not to grant you emancipation.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not considered to be legal advice.


You can try to become emancipated but it will take a court filing and most likely, permission from your parents short of very specific negative circumstances in your life.

Why don't you ask your folks for help instead of turning away?

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.