Skip to main content

Hi, I was deported from USA in 2002. I was banned for 10 years, am I able to visit again as a tourist?

Orlando, FL |

Hi, I was deported from USA in 2002 because the INS caught me as I was illegally overstaying in the country. I was banned for 10 years, am I able to visit again as a tourist? I was banned for 10 years to apply for a visa, so now I spent more than 10 years out of USA, am I eligible to re-enter again as a visitor? During my 3 years stay in USA, I stayed legally for one years, then I was overstayed. and once I had been arrested for a prostitution case.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7



The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


The odds of being issued a visa under these facts are very slim.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


I agree with my colleague. Although you are eligible to apply for a tourist visa, the fact that you have been arrested for prostitution case makes obtaining a visa difficult. It is best to consult an immigration attorney.

Alexus P. Sham (917) 498-9009. The above information is only general in nature and does not constitute legal advice. It does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Alexander Joseph Segal

Alexander Joseph Segal


Not if he was deported for misrepresentation.


That depends on why you were deported and whether your deportation was the only reason for the ban and whether the ban was not for life.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


Yes, you can apply.

Will you get it? I think that, at-best, your odds are 50/50.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


It may be possible depending upon the reason for being removed. If it is possible, it is also possible the US consulate will refuse to give you a visa as a matter of discretion. You may want to obtain immigration legal consul to assist you with the process.


Robert Brown LLC
Baldwin Park Center
4767 New Broad Street
Orlando, Florida 32814


You should consult an immigration attorney. While you may be eligible to apply for a tourist visa, your prostitution conviction renders it difficult to be granted the visa.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer