Skip to main content

Hi, I recieved a writ of summons in the mail, apparently I'm being sued for vehicle damages. How do I respond to summons?

Baltimore, MD |

3 yrs ago, I was in a bumper to bumper accident. It was lots of traffic and I was too close to one car accidently hit their bumper. Now their sueing me for $1500 in vehicle damage.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


Turn over the matter to your insurance carrier.


Your insurance provider at the time of the accident has a duty to defend you. Turn over the summons to them and let them handle it. Also, Maryland has a three year statute of limitations in personal injury cases, so the exact date of the accident is important.

Farid Yaghoubtil is an attorney at Downtown L.A. Law Group - 1850 E. 15th St., Los Angeles, CA 90021. (855)385-2529.


You need to turn this over to your insurance company at the time of this incident ASAP. They will provide an attorney to defend the claim.

Good luck.

DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only because the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.


Send copies of all the legal paperwork to the car insurance carrier you had at the time of the accident. They have an obligation under the car insurance policy to defend you for any car accidents which occurred during the policy period.

This answer is NOT legal advice and is GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY and does NOT establish an Attorney/Client Relationship because you have not retained me and because you have not provided me with a COMPLETE set of all the FACTS in your legal situation. Therefore my answer cannot address your specific legal situation and you should not rely upon my answer in your legal matter. This answer is merely provided to assist you in beginning your own research or in finding an attorney to represent you. I am an attorney licensed in Maryland and California. A Consultation, Retainer and a fully signed and dated Legal Services Agreement (a contract) will be required if you would like to obtain my representation. Office: (410) 381-1656. David Mahood, Esq.


Turn it over to your insurance company to resolve.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755


If you have insurance turn it over to them. If not, then I strongly recommend hiring an attorney.

If you'd like to discuss, please feel free to call. Jeff Gold Gold, Benes, LLP 1854 Bellmore Ave Bellmore, NY 11710 Telephone -516.512.6333 Email -

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer