Skip to main content

Hi, I was pulled over by a police officer, I was on my bike, and was ticketed for wearing head phones and running a stop sign.

San Diego, CA |

I received a $405 ticket. I was asked to pay this ticket before going to court or doing anything else. I am thinking I will request a trial by written declaration, but don't know what to say. Can I simply say, "Not Guilty"?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Entera written plea of Not Guilty. Also enter a written request to have the case set for trial. If you can get a judge rather than a magistrate do so. These forms should be available online from your state bar association. A better idea would be to hire a traffic ticket lawyer.

Daniel C Grupenhagen

Daniel C Grupenhagen


Normally I wouldn't care or say anything, but this procedure doesn't apply in san diego.


You can write not guilty, but that wouldn't assist the court very much. A TBD is good because it allows you to include hearsay, and two chances to have a trial. If the cop doesn't respond, you win. I agree that contacting a lawyer is better if you can. I suggest at least stating that you didn't commit the violation and if you aren't offering a defense then say as little as possible and admit nothing.

Contributions on in no way create an attorney-client relationship nor are they intended to be relied upon as a course of action without having first consulted directly with an attorney, where the specific facts and circumstances of your case can be fully discussed.


You can, but you will likely lose. Hire a locally experienced criminal defense attorney to assist. Although they will likely charge you more than what the penalty for the ticket would be.

Law Offices of David Shapiro 3555 4th Avenue San Diego, CA 92103 (619) 295-3555


I handle traffic matter in San Diego. Just writing not guilty will not get you a win if the officer replies. It would be best to speak with an attorney to see if you have a possible defense.

Mike Norton

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer