Skip to main content

Hi ! My son Was sentenced yesterday for probation violation , can he appeal for it . He was a veteran suffering from

San Lorenzo, CA |

traumatic syndrome , and yes he also used drugs . I believed he need to be rehabilitate instead of jail time , please advise .

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


These issues should have been brought up by his attorney during the Probation Violation hearing. If the Judge ruled on these issues, it can be appealed. His attorney should file a notice of appeal with the Court to preserve his right to appeal. The attorney can also ask for a sentencing modification.

Seth Weinstein, Esq.
Practicing throughout Southern California
(310) 707-7131

This reply should NOT be considered a legal opinion of your case / inquiry. At this time I do not have sufficient factual/legal documentation to give a complete answer to your question and there may be more to the issues you raised then I have set out in my brief reply.


I've attached a overview of specialized veterans courts in California, which are intended to provide alternatives to incarceration for veterans suffering from substance abuse/mental health issues. There is a nationwide movement to better incorporate such specialized courts into state criminal proceedings but a California defense attorney would be better able to explain how it may assist in your son's case.

Gayle Anne-Marie Gutekunst

Gayle Anne-Marie Gutekunst


Excellent helpful response - we can sometimes forget about these resources.


You did not mention where -- that is, in what court -- your son was sentenced. Because you are in San Lorenzo, I will assume that the court was in that area. If so, your son should have the right to have an attorney appointed at no charge to handle his appeal. I have pasted the website of the agency which staffs those appeals: You may want to give them a call.

No attorney-client relationship or duty of care is created between the questioner and the attorney by virtue of this response.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer