Skip to main content

Help finding a legal coach for a civil case.

Paramount, CA |

I was told that I can find a legal coach, because I can't afford a lawyer on retainer, can anyone help me?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Use the Avvo "Find a Lawyer" function to locate attorneys who practice in the area of your case and in your geographical area. When you contact them, ask if they provide "unbundled" services.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.


It is illegal for someone to act as a lawyer if they are not licensed as a lawyer. Try legal aid or other pro bono law providers, such as Bet Tzedek Legal Services for help. The type of case will control who to contact.


If someone is going to "practice law" in California, which includes specifically advising people what papers to file or how to present their case, then that person must be a lawyer.

California allows lawyers to provide services on a "limited representation" basis, meaning that the client hires the lawyer for specific services. One example might be to provide advice as to how a hearing is likely to proceed and what evidence the court is likely going to be interested in. Another example might be to draft papers for the client's signature.

You will need to spend some time looking for lawyers who are willing to help you on this basis, but they exist.

Best of luck to you.

Louis Anthes

Louis Anthes


For More Information about "Limited Scope Representation":

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer