Skip to main content

Hello my question is i came into united states 6 years ago with asylum from my dad.. and i have a green card 2 years ago ..

San Diego, CA |

i wanna bring my mom but she decline all the asylum privileges.. 6 years ago also.. how can i bring my mom in to unites states? do i have to wait 3 more years to become citizen? or can i apply with something different like a visa? visitor visa? an also she has a daughter 11 years old but she's from a different nationality how can i bring her?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You will have to become a US Citizen first. A US Citizen age 21 and older may petition for mom and dad. You will not be able to help your mom's daughter quite so easily. The 11-year old daughter might qualify as your sibling. Once you become a US Citizen, you may petition for her, but she would have a very long (10 years or more) wait. Better for your mom to get a green card and then she can file for her daughter.

(734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.


You will need to first become a US citizen and be over 21 years of age before you can apply for your mom's green card. Your sister's nationality does not matter, but it's a whole different category under which you will be applying for her. The siblings category currently waits around 10 years before finally having an immigrant visa available.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


You must be a US citizen and at least 21 years old to file for your mother's green card. Same for your sister - you must be a US citizen and 21 to apply for her. A visitor visa is possible but will be denied unless she can prove she will return to her country when the visit is over. She must prove sufficient ties to her country. With you in the United States that will be difficult.

The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be reviewed for a more precise answer. You should consult with an immigration attorney before taking any action. The answer here is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.



and after my mom gets her green card how long we have to wait in till her daughter get hers?