Skip to main content

Hello I'm a landlord in brooklyn,ny, I have a tenant who said he has slipped and fallen on my property due to my negligence.

Brooklyn, NY |

I am not sure if my insurance company will cover me, so I might have to take a lawyer. I already received a letter from his attorney. I am not sure what to do as it seems most attorneys or lawyers represent the plaintiffs in this scenario. On his complaint he said there was snow and ice and that I didn't take the proper steps to clean it up. The problem with his complaint is that no snow or ice was fallen and it was 66 degrees that day. I'm not sure what to do, any help would be appreciated.

Also I have contacted my insurance company already and they are already investigating, but I'm just not sure if they will provide me coverage or not, but it is being investigated, I just wanted to know what to do if they don't cover me after there investigation. Thanks for all your help and answers.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 9


Send the letter to your insurance company asap. If you delay, they can use the delay to disclaim. They will tell you what to do next. Only if they disclaim for some reason should you need your own lawyer. If they cover, they will provide a lawyer for you. Again, if you delay in notifying your insurance company, they can disclaim on that basis alone, so notify them today, by phone and by certified mail. RRR.

Charles Crane DeStefano

Charles Crane DeStefano


excellent advice - do not delay in contacting your carrier.


Send the letter to your insurance company. There is no sense speculating about whether or not they will cover you. There should be a presumption that they will. If they deny coverage they will provide you with a basis for the denial in writing and then you can have an attorney help you determine if that is a valid basis.


I agree with Attorney Stein. You should follow the steps he has advised you to take.

Good Luck

Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship between us. The answer given is for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for contacting an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction and obtaining legal advice from such an attorney.


Contact your insurance provider to report the claim immediately. They will likely provide you with an attorney to defend the case on your behalf. If they do not, consult with a civil defense attorney in order to protect yourself.

Miguel A. Amador is licensed to practice law in Florida and the District of Columbia only. The information provided is for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is formed nor should any such relationship be implied. The information provided is of a general nature is not intended to substitute for the advice of an attorney


Let your insurance investigate & handle the matter. If no coverage consult a local attorney - many offer free consultations. Good luck

This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.


All the lawyers gave excellent advise. Frankly, I'm concerned that the delay may have already jeopardized your coverage. Act today.

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff


You are required to notify your insurance company in a timely manner. If you fail to do this, it may lead to your coverage being disclaimed. Your insurance company will then assign an adjuster and investigator to look into the claim. They will take care of this, but it is important to cooperate with them as much as possible.

If they disclaim you for whatever reason, you must speak with an attorney, to discuss their reasons and the steps that need to be taken.


Turn it over to your insurance company to resolve


Report the claim to your insurance company immediately.

If you feel this is the "best" answer or is "helpful," please indicate. Since I am limited to the information you provide, I cannot guarantee the accuracy of the answer. You should seek the advise of an attorney who can explore all aspects of your question. This communication does not form an attorney client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer