Skip to main content

Hello,i am a young girl who is hoping to become a criminal defence lawyer,what grades do i need to do it?what are the rules.

England, AR |

i really want to find out what subjects i should be taking for my options for my career to work

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Try to get the best grades you can. Pursue a liberal arts education. Try to read as much as possible. Take courses that force you to write a lot. Take courses on constitutional law, government, political science. Take acting classes, join a debate club. Not sure what you mean by "rules." The procedure is first, graduate from college, then take the LSATs, then apply to law school.


My colleague has advised you as to the rules. Even in high school, you can study the tools of an attorney: reading, writing, and speech. Good colleges want to see that you also excel outside of classs, and respect community service. Mid-highschool is not too early to look at a few colleges to see how they differ. (Your locale comes up on AVVO as "England, AR" which is how the system often interprets England, as in Great Britain. Other than watching Rumpole of the Bailey, I assume any England-specific advice is best obtained in England.) The ABA requires a 4-year degree. Law schools are less specific as to preferred majors, but courses in polysci, literature, logic, grammer, and writing are useful. Yes, follow all the rules, but learn to understand which rules are there merely to oppress - defense attorneys are the last hope of people downtrodden by often arbitrary and sensless laws. The defense attorney stands alone, has no power but pursuasion, and cries out against the culture of vengeance. You are to be congratulated - if you make it.

We do not have a client/attorney relationship until you make an appointment, we discuss your case face to face, I accept a retainer, and we explictly agree to enter into representation.


First, do you plan on becing a US attorney of a UK barrister/solicitor? If its the the US option, you should try to do your undergrad work in US as you will have to follow the LSAT, ABA law school then State bar exam route. If it is the latter, you should contact the career teacher at your school.

Personally, I attented Dalhousie Law School and after obtaining an LLB became a barrister in Canada. Several years later moved to US, had to do LSAT, went back to law school for a JD and then passed the FL bar.

Many foreign lawyers study in the US at either non ABA approved law school or for LLM degrees. These options do not permit the sitting for bar exams in most states. It can also limit ability to transfer to other US States.

Having been a criminal attorney (criminal legal aide in Canada and public defender in US) my personal suggestion is to study sociology, psychology, and other areas in human development. I also like the debating and drama thoughts of my colleagues.

God Bless and good luck

Legal disclaimer: The statement above is provided by CC Abbott is based on general assistance and not intended to be a legal opinion because not all the facts are provided. The person requesting information and all others reading the answer should retain an attorney who is permitted by the state bar within the jurisdiction who can examine the complete facts and provide a legal opinion on your case. All information provided in the above answer and other information provided by CC Abbott does not create an attorney/client relationship within any state of Federal law.


I assume you are posting from ENGLAND, the country, and not "ENGLAND, AR" in the USA. You'll need to make good grades, remain arrest free, and take courses that teach you how to think, write and speak. Get into a good college and law school and make good grades, take some seminars about the law, try to get a part time job with a law firm, prosecutors or public defense office, to see what really goes on. Go to court and watch a criminal jury trial. Take the LSAT course and do well on the exam, and then 3 years at law school in the USA. Good luck.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer