Skip to main content

Hello, I just received a letter from a collection company of the behalf of the state of maryland MVA regarding a penalty due for

Yonkers, NY |

MVA insurance lapse default. according to mva i did not have insurance of 2 vehicles that were registered by me from 6/01 to 3/03. i no longer have these vehicles and do not recall what insurance company i had back then. i currently owe a crazy amount of money that i am unable to pay. i just found out about this 2 weeks ago when they sent me a letter to my house. i do not know what to do or what is even possible to try and get this situation fixed. is there a lawyer that can help remove this default or lower the amount owed.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You may want to look into bankruptcy protection if you owe a "crazy" amount of money that you don't think you can repay in 5 years or so. A bankruptcy lawyer can review your entire financial situation and advise you if this option makes sense for you.

Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.


I do not practice in Maryland. But, it is my limited understanding that the fees associated with lapsed auto insurance policy in Maryland can be as much as $2,500.00 per year.It is also my limited understanding that there is a procedure for getting the amount adjusted by filing a form with the MVA.I believe the form can be found at:

I suggest that you consult with a Maryland attorney or contact the MVA to find the proper process for seeking an adjustment. Hopefully, there is no time limit on filing for such an adjustment.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer