Skip to main content

Hello! Help please, bought the used car 1/11/2013 and I want to give the car back to the dealer, what I have to do?

Orlando, FL |

Hello! Help please, arrived to give the car back to the dealer, as found in an engine failure. We want to return all the money for the car. Of the dealer does not have in place, it seems sick, but I think it's just a reason for us not to talk. We do not know what to do, we do not want the dealer to fix the car and gave it to us. We want all our money back and buy another car from another dealer. Please answer as soon as possible what to do and if you can help?

Could there be a reason to return to this: I was told by the dealer that the car did not get into an accident. But when I checked on the website, this car has been in an accident. Dealer lied to me. Could this be the reason for the return of my money? Dealer focused attention that it was not in an accident ever, I asked 2-3 times. Today we talked to the dealer, he does not want to return the money, and refuses to return the money. He offered only to change another car on one of his cars.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


You need to talk to a local lemon law lawyer, and go over all your sales papers and the whole story, to see what your rights are. There's lots of questions you will have and lots the lawyer will have. If you have a case, most states have laws that can make the dealer pay your attorney fees for you. Can you do anything about your lemon used car? That depends. There is a used car lemon law in Hawaii, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, and Rhode Island, but not in Florida. But that doesn't mean you are stuck. You have to look at your sales paperwork. If there is no warranty there, then think about any oral representations that were made and ask if you are the victim of fraud. There is a long technical definition for fraud in each state but basically it is a lie that costs you money. If your purchase was “as is” don’t give up. Practically speaking, “as is” isn’t always legally as is, even though every car dealer wants you to think so. In most states, your legal rights in a used car sale are mostly determined by the paperwork that you sign, what you were told by the dealer, and if the dealer hid anything serious about the vehicle from you. But even in an “as is” sale you might get some legal rights anyway, even if you thought you didn’t. And besides that, if the seller hid something from you and also knew that you would want to know about it before making the deal, then that can be fraud. Also, in some states an oral representation may over-ride a written disclaimer of warranties. Also there’s a federal law that requires all car dealers to post on the window of all used cars they are selling a special “Buyer Guide” form (it’s often called a Used Car Window Sticker) that discloses your warranty rights. Many small lot car dealers don’t comply with the law. If they don’t, then you may end up with a warranty after all and you may even have the right to cancel the sale. The back side of the form has to be completely filled out and many car lots, big and small, fail to do that too and that can also trigger your right to cancel the deal. There’s a link below to see what the Buyer Guide form looks like. Once you have already spent your money, it's not too late to have an independent repair shop inspect it and tell you what they think, but the best time is before you put down your hard earned money. If less than a few thousand dollars is involved, you may want to go to Small Claims Court on your own instead of getting an attorney. To find out what your rights are in your state, you need to talk to Dana Manner or Steve Fahlgren or one of the other dozen Florida Lemon Law attorneys. You can find their contact info at this web site page where there is a Free Online 50 State National List of Lemon Law Lawyers ( and find one near you (lawyers don’t pay to get listed here and most of them are members of the only national association for Consumer Law lawyers, You can also look for one here on Avvo under the Find a Lawyer tab. Or you can call your local attorney's Bar Association and ask for a referral to a Lemon Law attorney near you. But act quickly because for every legal right you have, there is only a limited amount of time to actually file a lawsuit in court or your rights expire (it's called the statute of limitations), so don't waste your time getting to a Lemon Law attorney and finding out what your rights are. If this answer was helpful, please give a “Vote Up” review below. Thanks for asking and Good Luck. Ron Burdge,

What does a Used Car Buyer Guide warranty form look like? Click here and see

What are the 3 kinds of Fraud? Click here to find out

Did a business treat you unfairly? See what your Udap rights are to protect yourself, click here

Free 50 State List of Consumer Law Lawyers? Click Here

This answer is for general purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. The law in your state may differ and your best answer will always come from a local attorney that you meet with privately. For a Free Online 50 State National List of Consumer Law Lawyers, click on this link ( and find one near you


Many consumers ask if there is an automatic right to cancel a contract to purchase a car within three days. The general answer is there is no three day right to cancel the transaction but, as always, there are exceptions. I'll give you some general guidelines. Consumers can rescind a contract if it was induced by fraud and the parties can be returned to the status quo. Consumers can revoke acceptance of a car if he or she received non-conforming goods, e.g., the consumer buys a 6 cylinder and later learns it is a 4 cylinder. Consumers would need to revoke acceptance in a reasonable time. Consumers can rescind a transaction if the sale involves a retail installment sale contract and the buyer has not taken delivery of the vehicle. Consumers can sometimes cancel a contract as part of a remedy if there is a breach of warranty and suit is brought under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Consumers can cancel some deals if they have not received a copy of the retail installment sale contract and have not taken delivery of the vehicle. Section 520.07(c) of the Florida Statutes provides that "[u]ntil the seller has delivered or mailed to the buyer a copy of the retail installment contract, a buyer who has not received delivery of the motor vehicle shall have the right to rescind the agreement and to receive a refund of all payments made and return of all goods traded in to the seller on account of or in contemplation of the contract or, if such goods cannot be returned, the value thereof." Consumers probably can void a usurious contract under some circumstances or one that calls for finance charges in excess of Section 520.08, but that is rare. The age issue (i.e., the buyer being a minor) or some other lack of capacity oftentimes makes a contract void or voidable. There are certain protections for home solicitation sales. A consumer who entered into a contract to purchase goods or services worth more than $25 is usually allowed to cancel the contract up until midnight of the third business day after the contract was signed if the act of signing took place at any place other than the seller's business location. For home improvements, a contract to repair, make a replacement to, remodel, alter, convert, modernize, improve, or add to any land or building used as a single-family dwelling or residence in which financing is involved, may be cancelled by certified or registered mail up until midnight of the third business day after the contract was signed. Of course, consumers should always review their specific facts with an attorney to ensure that an exception to the above statements does not apply. For some car buying tips, check out articles on my website: If this answer is helpful, please mark it as so.

If this information has been helpful, please check the thumbs up tab below. Disclaimer: The above is intended to give you some insight into various legal topics. This information is not intended as legal advice, but rather an attempt to provide helpful topical information. Please consult a lawyer as to the specific circumstances of your case. Again, this is not to be considered legal advice nor does an attorney-client relationship exist. If there are more facts that you overlooked and did not include in your initial question and you would like to email me, you may send an email to Steven M. Fahlgren Attorney, Arbitrator and Certified Circuit Civil Mediator Law Offices of Steven M. Fahlgren, P.A. Phone: (904) 845-2255 Phone: (407) 852-1711

Ronald Lee Burdge

Ronald Lee Burdge


You are in Florida. Steve is in Florida. Call him. For a modest consultation fee you can get all your questions answered and know for sure where you are and what you can do. It'd be worth it. Steve is one of the very best.


Depending on the warranty you received, any service contract you purchased and/or promises made at time of sale and/or mistakes (accidental or on purpose) made in paperwork related to sale, you may be able to get out from under the deal. You need a local lemon law and auto fraud attorney to review this information. Find someone good here:


I would agree with my colleagues and suggest you immediately contact a competent Lemon Law attorney. If your facts are an accurate representation of what transpired, you may be entitled to recover for your damages. An attorney would also need to review your sales documentation and the history of the vehicle. I am sorry about your situation. Good Luck.

This answer should not be used as a final ruling on your case as more facts are needed to fully understand and expound upon your legal inquiry. This answer should be used a short introduction to the legal theories that may apply.


If the car was involved in a substantial accident and the dealership affirmatively told you that the car was not involved in such an accident, then there could be a violation of Florida's Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act. You should definitely contact an experienced lemon law attorney who can advise you during a free consultation with your legal options. Best of luck to you.