Skip to main content

Hello - I got a speeding ticket and possession now im forced to take classes & re-instatement i knew nothing of due to the clerk

Georgia |

I got pulled over in Crisp County Georgia for speeding and possession of less than an ounce (0.5 grams) of Marijuana. I paid about a thousand dollars to get out that nite. Then I had court weeks later.. I spoke to the clerk she told me if you dont show up theyll forfeit the money i paid and georgia would only suspend my license in that state strictly.. I was living in Louisville Kentucky at the time.. Of Course I never showed up thinking my license would just be revoked in Georgia being that I would never go back again.. Now they tell me I have to take some classes DUI inwhich i was never tested nor under any kind of influence during or prior to my arrest. They want 20 hrs out of me at 25 an hr also a re-instatement Cost of 225 or so.. What do I Do! Pls (it happened about 3 1/2 yrs ago).

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


It would be worth your while to consult with a traffic attorney familiar with the judges and practices in the court where you received the ticket to explore your options. An attorney familiar with the policies and procedures of the court will know the likelihood of negotiating such a resolution given the circumstances of your case.

Check with a lawyer in your locale to discuss more of the details.

Good luck to you.

God bless.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney that practices in the subject practice discipline and with whom you have an attorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.


Under the Driver's License Compact, member States must communicate the fact of a conviction for DUI to the "Home State". The "Home State" then takes action against the license under its own laws. Forty-five States are currently members of the Interstate Compact.

Out of State convictions count. Under all but a few geographical exceptions, it will be impossible for an out of State resident to avoid serious consequences in their home state. Suspension can however be avoided if proper steps are taken in the Courtroom and with the DMV.

In addition to the Compact, non-residents need to be concerned with the impact of any action taken by the DMV in the offense State against their right to drive in their home State. Many out-of-state residents mistakenly assume that their license will remain valid in their home State even if they lose their right to drive in the offense State. Under the registry, (All 50 States) any State that suspends your license must input the suspension into the Registry's computer databank.

Every member State is required to check the registry's databank whenever a person seeks to have his license renewed or applies for a new license, and are required to deny the license if there is an out of state suspension.

These consequences can be avoided in many cases but MUST be considered in every case.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer