Skip to main content

Hello How can I get greencard for my 85 year old mother. She lives in India alone.

San Jose, CA |

My sister I live in California and nobody is there to take care of her there. Please advise.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


If either you or your sister are US citizens you can petition for your mother to get a Green Card. The entire process should take 9 months to a year before she arrives in the US.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104


My colleague is correct ... if one of you is a US citizen ... that person can file an I-130.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


If you or your sister are US citizens one of you can file am I-130 Application for your mother and should be able to come within a year or so if there are no issues or problems that I am not a aware of. Good Luck!