Skip to main content

Hello : can i travel outside USA after i get the conditional green card ?

Petaluma, CA |

if yes for how long maximum i can travel without any problem ?
because i have to travel to take care of some business
and does my travel gonna effect me when i will change my green card into non-conditional ?

thank you

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

You can travel for less than 6 months without problems, especially if for a valid business reason which you can prove if need be.

The "problems" would start after any absences of 6 months or more. For any absence of one year or more, I recommend you apply for a Reentry Permit on Form I-131.

Any extended periods of travel might make obtaining the removal of your conditional status problematic, unless logically explained and justified. Also, any absences out of the country will be counted against your residency and physical presence for naturalization purposes.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.



Thank you .... I really appreciate it

Giacomo Jacques Behar

Giacomo Jacques Behar


My pleasure. Please don't forget to designate a "Best Answer.


You can travel so long as you do not exceed 6 months. If you plan to go for longer than that you should apply for a reentry permit before you leave.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104


Yes you can travel outside the country. Normally travel up to 6 months is not a problem. From 6 months to a year they can start asking questions. If you travel over a year there is is a rebuttable presumption that you abandoned your residence, get a travel permit before you travel.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer