Skip to main content

Hello, I have been married for 6yrs, dated and lived with my husband for 16yrs total. Last July he cheated on me

Fort Lauderdale, FL |

with a prostitute and now believes he has HIV. I kicked him out in August after finding out. We have 3 children under the age of 4. The house that the boys and I are living in is my husbands. I've been unemployed for 4 months now and he cancelled my health insurance as of Jan 2013. I want a divorce, I want out but not sure how to go about it to protect my children. Can you advise my first steps please? Thank you

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Schedule and attend an one on one consultation with a Family Law Attorney in your area. The information needed to properly advise you cannot and should not be discussed over a public forum such as this.


Daniel Bachert, Esq.
The Bachert Law Firm, P.A.
330 Clematis Street, Suite 222
West Palm Beach, Florida 33401
(561) 653-3951

Please be aware and advised that this public forum is designed to provide only general information, to give you a basis of legal knowledge. This public forum does not give you attorney-client privilege. You and I have not entered into an attorney-client relationship. I am not responsible for your legal rights and this answer is based solely on the information you have provided in your question and as always, I would advise that you arrange for an in person consultation with an attorney from my firm or another Family Law attorney familiar with Florida Family Law who can analyze the specific facts and circumstances of your case more closely to better advise you.


Your first step should be a medical exam on yourself to determine if you have any type of sexually transmitted disease from contact with your Husband. If so, there are ways to sue your Husband for transmitting that disease to you. Next you should consult an experienced family law attorney and file a dissolution of marriage action which would include a request for child support. Alimony and property issiues should also be addressed in your petition. I am truly sorry for your situation.


Your first step is to get a local family law attorney. You've got a divorce, custody of the children, child support, property division, possibly alimony, and insurance matters all at issue. You would be putting yourself in a vulnerable position trying to go it alone.

Disclaimer: This email message in no way creates an attorney client relationship between Majeski Law, LLC and the recipient. Responses are general in nature and do not constitute legal advice. You should consult a lawyer regarding any specific legal matter.


I agree with my colleagues. You should schedule a consultation with a family law attorney to discuss the particulars of your situation. This is not the best forum to discuss your situation. You will need to file a Petition for Dissolution of Marriage and address child support, custody, alimony, and insurance. Many attorneys on here, including myself, offer free initial consultations.

Natalie Guerra-Valdes

The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. The information contained in this Website is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. No recipients of content from this site, clients or otherwise, should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the site without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from an attorney licensed in the recipient's state.


I am sorry to hear about your situation. The first thing you should do is make sure that your health has not been compromised by contracting HIV and, if necessary, seek medical treatment. If you are sure that you want a divorce, you should file a Petition for Dissolution of Marriage as soon as possible so that, amongst other things, the Court can stop your husband from unilaterally dictating what he provides to you and the children.

I recommend that you speak with an experienced family law attorney as soon as possible. Many attorney, such as myself, offer free consultations.

Many attorneys, including myself, offer free consultations.

Good luck.

The Aabbott Law Firm
2719 Hollywood Blvd.
Hollywood, FL 33020
TEL (954) 320-0303
FAX (954) 342-7313