Skip to main content

Health care, malpractice, neglect or other?

Alton, IL |

My mother died Sept . 13 , 12' of stage 4 bladder cancer that had metastasized . Mom had went to hospital ER in question for over 2 years and about 15 - 20 times . She was diagnosed with US each time . In Oct . 1 hospital in question admitted her with a pelvic mass that busted during her 4 day stay there . She was sent home and continued ER visits there until she started pouring blood from the urethra . She went to a different ER where the pelvic mass that busted was rediscovered as well as the cancer in May 12' . My thoughts are that my mom was looked at as a drunk crazy woman who continued to come to the ER . If hospital in question would have did further testing due to the recurring U Ti's my mother may be alive now . She also had lesions on her brain . Do I have a case ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


There Iis no way to tell without a thorough review of your mother's medical records.

Contact a lawyer immediately. A lawyer may want to obtain the records or ask you to get them.

Illinois requires an expert determine the s standard of care was breached and this must be based upon a records review by a medical expert.

I encourage you to contact a malpractice attorney and am sorry for your loss.

Stephen L. Hoffman
Law Office of Stephen L. Hoffman LLC
Chicago, IL

This answer posted on Avvo is for informational and educational purposes only. There is no attorney-client relationship created or formed and you should not rely on this as legal advice. The suggestion is made that if you wish to protect your rights, you consult with an attorney immediately.


Mr. Hoffman is right, these cases are incredibly complex and it will take at least one (and possibly several) attorney appointments before you know if this is worth pursuing. Your attorney will need your mother's complete medical records and history, but that doesn't mean you should wait to see someone until you have those in hand. Make an appointment tomorrow and see a few attorneys asap.


I agree you need to have the records and all relevant facts reviewed by a qualified medical malpractice attorney. Go to the "find a lawyer" tab and look for one near your home.


I am profoundly sorry for your loss. I cannot imagine the pain of losing a parent.

I see that you're in Alton. Was your mother treated in Illinois or in Missouri? There is a big difference in the law between the two states. Some lawyers in your area only take Illinois wrongful death cases because of limitations on damages in Missouri cases, but you should not let this deter you from fully, aggressively, and promptly meeting with a lawyer to determine whether or not you have a case. However, if your mother was treated in Missouri, you should make sure your lawyer is also licensed in Missouri. Many medical malpractice lawyers in the Alton/Belleville area are licensed in both states.

One suggestion that would help an attorney get started: prepare a timeline of what happened, detailing when and where your mother was treated in as much detail as you can.

As the other attorneys mentioned, you or your attorney will need to obtain her medical records for your attorney to evaluate whether or not you have a case. Obtaining these records can be very costly, depending on the the size of the file and the length and depth of the treatment. A lawyer can craft a targeted request which can save time and money.

After obtaining these records, an expert in medical malpractice work can conduct a careful review to determine whether or not the relevant standards of care were breached.

If you want help finding the right medical malpractice lawyer for you, please feel free to get in touch with me, and I will be happy to refer you to an attorney in your area.

I wish you all the best in this difficult time.


I am based in St. Louis and I handle malpractice cases throughout Illinois and particularly in the metro east area. Obviously I would need more information but I'd like to get more information. You can contact me at your convenience.

This answer is provided as a public service for informational purposes only. Providing this information does not create an attorney-client relationship. As with all legal matters, you should contact an experienced attorney in your geographical area to discuss the law specific to your state. For more information, see


I’m sorry to hear about the loss of your mother. It must be very upsetting. The only way to know if there was malpractice is to retain a local med mal lawyer who can order the medical records and send them to an expert to review to ascertain whether there was a breach of the standard of care. I’m sorry, but my firm only handles birth injury cases, failure to diagnose cancer cases, and wrong site surgery cases.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer