Skip to main content

Have I been found guilty of breaking court order? (Petition for Contempt- Civil case)

Rockville, MD |

I was a defendant for a Peace Order case. I was told to stay away from this person for 6 months, 3 months into this order, plaintiff filed for contempt, arguing that I violated the peace order. It was dismissed, and then I appealed to Circuit court, where the judge extended the peace order for another 6 months and added few more things in the order.

I'm trying to seal this case- does this mean I've been found guilty of contempt?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


It is difficult to know what happened without seeing the court documents. I suggest that you bring your documents to an attorney to determine whether you were found in contempt. If the Peace Order was granted, you are not eligible to have the record shielded. It must be denied or dismissed.

This answer is being given for general informational purposes only and is not protected by the attorney-client privilege since this is a public forum. The information provided does not create an attorney-client relationship. No communications with me on this forum shall be construed as arising out of an attorney-client relationship. If a client needs specific legal advice or opinions, he or she should retain counsel for advice or to undertake representation.


I'm not sure why, as a peace order defendant, you would appeal a dismissal of a petition for contempt against you. The way this question is worded is confusing and doesn't make sense. As my colleague stated, bring your documentation to an attorney for review.

DISCLAIMER: Brandy A. Peeples is licensed to practice law in the State of Maryland. This answer is being provided for informational purposes only and the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For legal advice relating to your specific situation, I strongly urge you to consult with an attorney in your area. NO COMMUNICATIONS WITH ME ARE TO BE CONSTRUED AS ARISING FROM AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP AND NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP WILL BE ESTABLISHED WITH ME UNLESS I HAVE EXPRESSLY AGREED TO UNDERTAKE YOUR REPRESENTATION, WHICH INCLUDES THE EXECUTION OF A WRITTEN AGREEMENT OF RETAINER.


You state that the Plaintiff filed Contempt against you which a judge dismissed, but then you appealed the dismissal of the Contempt to the Circuit Court where the Peace Order was extended another six months. That makes no sense at all. Appealing a victory to a higher court could be compared to Lebron James and Dwayne Wade winning the seventh game of the NBA Finals, and then demanding more games to see if they really deserved to win. Is this what you did? Or did you simply describe what happened incorrectly?

A victory is a victory, and when you win, you are supposed to celebrate, not give the other side another opportunity to destroy you in court. So like I said, your facts don't make any sense. I suggest you consult with an attorney to understand what happened, and why. After you learn what you did wrong, I suggest you make the necessary changes to handle these things more effectively.

Office: (410) 381-1656. This is NOT legal advice, is GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, and does NOT establish an Attorney/Client Relationship with you. Therefore my answer cannot address your specific legal situation and you should not rely upon my answer in your legal matter. I am an attorney licensed in Maryland and California. Office: (410) 381-1656. David Mahood, Esq.