Skip to main content

Have had a land contract for 8 years and and been receiving welfare assistance for sometime now , i was told i could be in

Milford, OH |

serious truoble , now wandering what i can do to prevent loss and liability . I have an aunt says she could put it in her name while i go back to school? I'm sure what to do ! if i did transfer it could i draw up a contract between me and her to prevent her from selling or loosing my property?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


If you are on welfare, any asset can disqualify you for public assistance. I have practiced Social Security and SSI disability law for 35 years in Virginia. If you applied for public benefits and concealed this asset, then you have a problem. It may be welfare fraud and you may want to contact a criminal attorney. Also, you may want to contact legal aid in your area. Transferrring the property may also be a fraudulent act. You should first get legal advice.

This response is meant to be information only and should not be considered to be legal advice. This information is not meant and should not be construed to be the formation of an attorney client relationship. I practice Virginia Workers compensation law and Social Security Disability law.


Gerald is right. You could be in serious trouble and you really should not do anything until you talk to a lawyer. Except for maybe one thing. Stop talking about this on the internet. Discussing potential criminal charges or penalties at online forums can be risky. If your concern is about potential criminal issues, then you should not talk about it on the internet at all. Instead you should talk to a criminal law lawyer near you, right away. Many investigators now check social media and Q&A websites when they are investigating a possible defendant, looking for questions that may indicate possible guilt or damaging admissions that can be gleaned from questions posted online. I do not know what your circumstance is or if you are inquiring only generally or perhaps for another person who was wondering. Regardless, you should talk to a local criminal law attorney near you right away. Reading this free online Avvo Legal Guide may help you understand general concepts of Fraud, What is Fraud,, but it is no substitute for sitting down with an attorney and going over your situation carefully. You need to talk to a local Criminal Law attorney who deals with this kind of case. Call your local attorney's Bar Association and ask for a referral to a Criminal Law attorney near you. If you can not afford an attorney then you should tell them and ask for a public defender (it may be called something else in your particular state). If this answer was helpful, please give a “Vote Up” review below. And please be sure to indicate the best answer to your question so we can all be sure we are being helpful. Thanks for the question and good luck. Ron Burdge,

How to Ask a Criminal Law Legal Question, Not Get in Trouble, and Get the Right Answer, click here

Click Here to find a member of the National Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys

To find a lawyer near you, Click here for a list of state and local attorney bar associations

Want a woman attorney’s help? Click here for a list of state and local women attorney’s bar associations

What are attorney bar associations and how do they work? Click on this Wikipedia answer here

This answer is for general purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. The law in your state may differ and your best answer will always come from a local attorney that you meet with privately. If you need a Consumer Law attorney, click the link above to find a Consumer Law attorney near you.


Excellent insights and suggestions from two OUTSTANDING attorneys, I hope you heed their wise words.

Disclaimer Information on this site is provided by Brian Scott Wayson as general information, not legal advice, and use of this information does not establish an attorney-client relationship. If you have questions about your specific situation, please call an attorney.