Skip to main content

Have a friend went to immigration court lost and was told he will be deported and he have 30 days to appeal. How does appeal wor

Miami, FL |

How does the appeal work when u are facing deportation back to the bahamas

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


He will need to talk with an attorney. Did he have one who handled his removal case? That same attorney should be able to handle it. If not, your friend needs to find an attorney who specializes in "removal defense" and "appeals." It would be difficult to give good advice on a forum such as this. Your friend needs to talk to an attorney confidentially about the situation.


He was given appeal papers when the Immigration Judge denied his case.

He should meet with an immigration lawyer immediately ... or start packing to return home.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


Hi! Please talk to an immigration attorney about the BIA appeal. They are complicated and your friend really deserves the best shot. However, that stated if appeal was reserved by the attorney during the trial, then yes he has 30 days to appeal to the BIA.


Your friend has 30 days from the date of the Immigration Judges decision to appeal to the Board of Immigration Appeals. During the pendency of the appeal, an automatic stay ensues and he cannot be removed from the United States. There are many procedural rules that must be followed when appealing to the BIA and he will best be served by consulting with an experienced immigration attorney.

While this answer is provided by a Florida Bar Certified Expert in Immigration and Nationality Law, it is for general information purposes only and an attorney/client relationship is neither intended nor created. You should seek out qualified counsel to review your case and provide you with advice specific to your situation. Call +1-561-478-5353 to schedule a consultation with Mr. Devore.


Your friend needs an attorney immediately. There is no playing with a deportation order. Please contact an Immigration attorney today, there are many choices in Miami. We offer free consultation.