Skip to main content

Have a custody/support order in Va. Neither parent lives in that state Children and myself live in Ga. Father lives in Idaho ..

Columbus, GA |

I have primary placement and he sees them once a year. The original order(we both lived in the same state) says we have to split costs of transportation..This order is 11 years old and now the children do not want to go to Idaho 13& 11 yrs. How do i go about getting this changed and do I have to let them out of the state we have lived in Ga 7 years

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


You need to file a Petition for Modification of Custody, so that you can modify the visitation schedule to suit your present needs, given that so many things have changed since your initial order was issued. In order to move forward it will be easiest if you have the father's cooperation. You will need to serve him with papers, and get some updated information from him so that you can make sure you are receiving the proper amount of child support. His income has likely changed in the past 11 years, and so you will want to make sure you are receiving the proper amount of child support under the current laws. A good first step is to speak to an attorney in a confidential consultation, so that you and the attorney can form a game plan for you and discuss the costs to get everything implemented. Many attorneys will even offer you a free consultation.

Please note that this is a general posting, and you should contact a lawyer if you want specific legal advice to best suit your needs.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer