Has a immigration lawyer insight into my detailed immigration record?

Truckee, CA |

I have a bit of a difficult situation right now concerning divorce, green card, deportation....and so on. If I go and seek help from a professional immigration lawyer, does he/she have insight into my immigration file or not? If he/she does it is easier to help me out in detail right?

An immigration lawyer can help you obtain the copy of your entire file in DHS (USCIS, CBP and ICE) record under FOIA regulations. It will take a few months to process. A lawyer can also (often successfully) appeal if any of those agencies fail to release any meaningful record (they often try to withhold some information). Those agencies usually respond to such appeals within weeks and end up releasing more information/records. A lawyer can also assist you to retrieve any FBI arrest records you might have.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Absolutely the best practice of any immigration lawyer is to file to obtain their new client's case file from CIS / EOIR so that they are seeing substantially the same documents that the government sees in the case.

I agree with my colleagues.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.