Skip to main content

Harasment charges dismissed by judge and proscuter then used in tro for fro

Freehold, NJ |

I had a tro and the harassment charges were dismissed. Thrn another tro was filed and the judge tried me on the original tro yet the charges were dismissed by judge and proscuter. This is againt my constitional rights and must file emergant appeal, correct?

Any findings or discussion involving harassment must be removed and is againt my consitional rights as i was tried and dismissed.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Not necessarily. A criminal charge issued by the state and a restraining order initiated by a private party are separate cases and are subject to separate standards of proof and legal elements. It's entirely possible for criminal charges relating to one incident to be dismissed, but for a civil restraining order related to the same incident to be upheld. You need to consult in private with an attorney if this is your situation.

Please read the following notice: <br> <br> Jay Bodzin is licensed to practice law in the State of Oregon and the Federal District of Oregon, and cannot give advice about the laws of other jurisdictions. All comments on this site are intended for informational purposes only, and are not intended to constitute legal advice, create an attorney-client relationship, or solicit business. No posts or comments on this site are in any way confidential. Each case is unique. Information not contained in these posts may create significant exceptions to the advice provided in any response. You are advised to have counsel at all stages of any legal proceeding, and to speak with your own lawyer in private to get advice about your specific situation. <br> <br> Jay Bodzin<br> Bodzin Donnelly Mockrin & Slavin, LLP<br> 2029 SE Jefferson Street, Suite 101, Milwaukie, OR 97222<br> <br> Telephone: 503-227-0965<br> Facsimile: 503-345-0926<br> Email:<br> Online:


Were these both Municipal Court criminal cases, or was one criminal and the other civil? If both criminal, you should consult with a criminal attorney to learn if res judicata obtains to criminal matters that were dismissed, vs. heard and decided.

This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site, you agree and understand that there is no attorney-client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State having jurisdiction over your matter, and who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about, and with whom you would have an attorney-client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State having jurisdiction over your matter.


I'd need the same info Curtis has referenced.

Use of prior DV is a somewhat complex area. If a plaintiff establishes that a current incident (usually harassment) is ambiguous, a judge can review prior incidents between the parties in order to give the current incident context so as to determine whether it qualifies as DV. That's a little complex... example in Supreme Court case: X says to Y "I'll bury you." At trial, X says it was intended in the legal sense - "I'll bury you in court." Y says he meant "bury you in the backyard." Court was to look at prior history and threats to give context to the statement and decide whether a FRO was warranted. (Good "Cesare v. Cesare domestic violence new jersey" and read up).

Not sure if that helps. Generally, I'm not a fan of punting every question here with "see a lawyer", but DV has hugely serious implications, to your case (custody, etc) and otherwise. Be careful about doing this on your own based on what you read on internet boards.

IF YOU LIKE THIS ANSWER AND APPRECIATE THE TIME IT TOOK TO WRITE IT, PLEASE SELECT IT AS "BEST ANSWER." Thanks. The above is said without seeing your case file and without my understanding the entirety of the facts of your case. Depending on those facts, the above information be may incomplete or may be completely inaccurate. The above is intended as general information only based on what you described and not as legal advice. I advise you to consult with counsel who may be able to provide better information commensurate with a better understanding of your situation.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer