Skip to main content

Had a DUI charge changed to non moving vialation in Missiouri but back ground check said I still had DUI, what do I do

Kansas City, MO |

in 2008 I was driving to meet boyfriend at ER and got lost as I was living in topeka but from florida, anyway got pulled over for no turn signal, cop smelled the couple drinks I had earlier that day and charged me with DUI even after I breathed under legal limit, I got a lawyer and he had it changed to a moving or non moving violation and I didnt have to go to court. I tryed to get on military base 2 days ago and they tryed to denie me and said I had DUI in missiouri, what do I do

My nieces husband is in navy and out to sea, She was in false labor and I was there to help her with her other to young children, They ended up letting me on the base , but when she goes into real labor I dont want her having to sit out in car for hour while I explain all this again, please help

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


start here:
that's a good place to start to inform the people the make the records that there's an error

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia


Or make sure your attorney did what he said.


First, contact your attorney and get your paperwork and also the court your case was in. They will have the court file. If it truly was amended to a non-moving violation (& may I add wow)--then that should clear it up with the military base. Unfortunately, sometimes dispositions are not in a courts system and it depends on what type of background check they did. you might need help from an attorney to clear up your driving record--then contact one in the state you recieved the ticket.


1.) Contact the attorney who handled your case.
2.) Obtain your Missouri driving record from the Missouri Department of Revenue
3.) Obtain your criminal history from the Missouri State Highway Patrol
4.) Contact the Military base in advance, many times, this is a simple security clearance issue. You may be able to obtain a "visitors clearance" of some kind in advance.

It is possible that in 2018, you may be eligible to expunge your DWI if it was plead as such, you have not re-offended and it has been at least 10 years. I suggest marking that year in your calendar and calling a Missouri DWI lawyer to discuss your options at that time.

John Schleiffarth

Please contact me at (314) 561-9690 for help. Answers provided to questions on AVVO are general in nature and do not represent specific legal advice. I am happy to meet with you in person to discuss your case in detail, and at that time I can give you specific advice based on the full facts of your case. *The choice of a lawyer is an important decision and should not be based solely upon advertisements.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer