Skip to main content

H4 to EAD conversion, with GC application for H1B holder

Sioux Falls, SD |

I am in USA on H1B visa, and my wife is here on H4
If my employer is applies for a GC, I would like to know how soon can my wife apply for EAD so she can start working too?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5

Best Answer

You may do so when your priority date is current. You should check with your employer's attorney.

Raja S. Gill | Attorney At Law | Gill Law Group | T: (855) 600-4567 | T: (949) 333-0891 | F: (949) 625-4816 Disclaimer: Answers/information provided on this site general nature for information and educational purposes only. The answer may or may not apply to the facts of your case. Please consult an attorney before making any decisions or in any way relying on this information.


You spouse may file for a work permit once you both file I-485 applications for Adjustment of Status.


When your visa is current and you and your wife file I-485 together with I-765.


Your wife will be able to apply for an employment authorization card once the priority date is current and you both file applications for adjustment if status.

Wendy R. Barlow, Esq, The Law Offices of Grinberg & Segal, P.L.L.C., 111 Broadway, Suite 1306, New York NY 10006, (866) 456-­8654,, The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. No recipients of content from this answer, clients or otherwise, should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the answer without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a licensed attorney. Provision of information on this website does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and The Law Offices of Grinberg & Segal, P.L.L.C., nor is it intended to do so.


What did the company's immigration lawyer tell you?

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer