Skip to main content

H1b transfer to new employer, I-140 approved, h1b visa for existing company being extended for 3 yrs!!!

Chicago, IL |

Company A which I worked for, went bankrupt on This mid of July. Company A sponsored me for h1b visa (extension for 3 years after My I-140 got approved on yr 2010).

I got an offer from Company B on this September, but this is a new company (just started business on September) and I am the only employee hired.

My questions?
1) can I do H1b transfer from company A to new employer? (since I were in US for 2 months and unemployed)
2) how much probably the legal fees to process the h1 visa for my employer?


+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Talk to a lawyer about whether or not you can do this.

I see problems with your not working and it being a start-up company

As for fees, ask around. More experienced attorneys tend to be more expensive ... but some would say that we're worth it.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.


I agree.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


You should consult with an attorney.

The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be reviewed for a more precise answer. You should consult with an immigration attorney before taking any action. The answer here is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.


The most common issue with new companies is whether or not it has the ability to pay your salary. If it is a new company, then chances are, they do not have a lot of financial records. It's definitely a good idea to talk to an attorney about what the new company can and cannot provide.

Dhenu Savla, Esq.
SwagatUSA, LLC

This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not meant to be relied upon as legal advice.