Skip to main content

H1B to F1 COS while taking part time courses

Chicago, IL |

Hi, I am planning for H1B to F1 COS and have some queries regarding my case. I have been taking part time classes for my masters course for the pst 6 months. I would like to convert as full time student and complete the remaining courses. Should I mention in my COS application that I have been taking part time courses and now want to convert to full time. Would it have any negative impact? Also, I read somewhere to include official transcripts of the courses taken till date if any.

+ Read More

Filed under: Student visas
Attorney answers 3


Part-time courses are permitted for a person on H-1B ... as long as you continued to work the number of hours listed on the I-129H.

Talk to your foreign student adviser for guidance on how to file the COS.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.



Thanks for quick reply. Can H1B to F1 COS get rejected stating that if already few courses are taken part time then why getting converted to full time?

F. J. Capriotti III

F. J. Capriotti III


I think that you are 'over thinking' this issue. I suggest that you have a consultation with an attorney (many of use use Skype). That way you can 'bounce' your questions back-and-forth in private ... in a more productive way.


I recommend against raising any issues which are not relevant and which you were never asked, in any application, unless you want to make your case unnecessarily complicated.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


I agree with attorney Berman

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer