Skip to main content

H1B Experience to degree equivalence

Santa Clara, CA |

For H1B visa - using the 3 for 1 equivalence rule to convert my work experience years (8 years and 9 months in my case) to number of years for Bachelor's, let's assume the credential evaluator says I have completed 3 years of an undergrad degree.

If I will have completed 1 year (3 semesters) of relevant coursework at an accredited grad school (with 2 more semesters to graduate at the time of visa application), will I qualify for the visa?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer


Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


What Does your perspective EMPLOYER'S immigration lawyer say?
3 years bachelor's degree from India no good for USCIS. But I assume you knew that already.
No, UNLESS the foreign degree equivalency report, which hopefully is from an accredited company recognized by USCIS and issued by a professor entitled to issue university level credit states that the totality of all your academic credit is equivalent to a master's degree in the US. Otherwise it won't fly.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


Evaluation Agencies deal with these kinds of issues. Take your hypothetical to their attention.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer