Skip to main content

Guardianship of a spouse

Green Bay, WI |

3weeks ago my husband suffered a major stoke and there weren't any power of attorney papers done ..they have deemed him unable to make his own decisions and want me to file for guardianship have been told this could cost me 6000,-12000. i don't have that kind of money what can i do??

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


There are several non-profit resources available to provide you with free information and guidance in filing a petition for guardianship. Contact the Coalition of Wisconsin Aging Groups,, or the Aging & Disability Resource Center in Brown County. You can also contact your local office of the Dept. of Health Services,

You could also check if there is a legal aid clinic in your county. The clerk of courts office at the courthouse can provide you with the necessary forms or you can find them online at You may also want to consider having an attorney review the completed forms with you before filing at a much lower cost than actual representation.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer