Skip to main content

Green card renewal or citizenship?

York, PA |

My green card will be expired next month. Should I renew my green card first then apply for citizenship? Or can I apply for citizenship now? Thanks.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


You can apply for citizenship without renewing your GC; With that said, if you do file I-90 to renew it, you will have to wait until it is adjudicated before you can seek citizenship; It is done so the A file would not get bounced around as a football; You decide; If you need to travel in the next six months, probably seek renewal first, if not then go right a head and file for citizneship

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


you can apply now

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


The best option is to apply for Citizenship if eligible.


You can apply now, unless you need to travel, in that case apply for green card first.

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova , New York Immigration Attorney Blog:


Apply for US Citizenship.

The comments provided are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact an attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Information provided as part of this posting, does not create an attorney-client relationship between the attorney and the questioner. The opinions expressed are the opinions of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of the firm or any individual attorney.