Skip to main content

Green Card processing time

San Jose, CA |

What is the Green Card processing time for a U.S Citizen parent to sponsor his/her children (non U.S Citizens) over the age of 21 yrs that are living in a foreign country? Is there any way to speed up the processing time?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5

Best Answer

You can find the processing time at Depending on the country the amount of time varies. That said, given your facts it looks like they would fall under one of two categories - F1 or F3. F1 if they are unmarried and F3 if they are married. Make sure you look at these categories as they relate to the country of chargeability when reviewing the chart. If you want them to come to the United States ... you have to file an I-130. The dates can be long and daunting but time will still pass whether you have a petition filed for them or not. The logical thing to do is file. Good luck to you and your family!


The wait is 8 years for most countries, much longer for Mexico and the Philippines.

You may be able to speed the process by becoming a US citizen or possibly by using CSPA.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


long time but depends on the country :( but you can refer to the visa bulletin which is available on the Department of State web cite

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.


See the latest most recent Dept of State Visa Bulletin which can be accessed here

The issues may get complicated due to the points my colleagues raise such as possible operation of the Child Status Protection Act (CSPA) which or other issues such as status of petitioner as a USC or LPR. Moreover, an attorney should be consulted for help with the Visa Bulletin and making sure it is correctly interpreted. Search Avvo for an experience immigration attorney to assist you.

No attorney-client relationship is created or implied by this communication. To contact this attorney see his profile; attorney number: 281-733-2875.


It is a long wait of over eight years. You may want to talk to an immigration attorney to see if there are other options for the relatives to immigrate to the U.S.

This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer