Skip to main content

Green Card lottery requirements

Boca Raton, FL |

My friends won a green Card lottery last year and plan to move permanently in 4-5 years. What is a required length of time they have to be in USA, so they would apply for citizenship later?
Also, their son is 18 years old, does he have to register with Military records in USA?
Thank you.

Thank you for the fast responses. I just wanted to clarify a few things: My friends already got a Green Card and SS cards on hand, and they've been once in US last year. How many months minimum they have to reside in USA before they can apply for US passport? They plan to move permanently in 4-5 years.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Winning the Green Card Lottery and getting the Green Card are two different things. One cannot simply win the lottery and then decide to apply for the the Green Card in a few years. He or she must move quickly to secure their spot. Once the Green Card is given, it will be 5 years before applying for citizenship assuming the person qualifies.

We have 3 offices over the State of California and an international office in the Philippines. We do 100% Immigration Law, have done nearly 5000 cases and can help you. Should you want an in depth consultation, please schedule one at or call 562-495-0554 or e-mail me directly at


The person who won the green card has deadlines to comply with. If he/she does not file paperwork on time and move to the US, he /she will lose the green card. Also, to qualify for citizenship, a permanent resident has to reside in the US for 5 years, and be physically present for at least half of this time.

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova , New York Immigration Attorney Blog:


The majority of the time.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.